Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Our Homeschool Calendar and Morning Board

On Monday, we embarked on a new homeschool, year. Over the summer, I decided to update our Homeschool Calendar.  I had been looking at examples from fellow bloggers and printed several great files to use. I created a few of my own to add our Calendar Area.  This year, we are using a large Pocket Chart we purchased at Wal-Mart several  years ago to use as our Calendar Area.

We have limited space so we have our Calendar area in our living room wall which is adjacent to the kitchen.  I had originally planned to have the areas of our calendar board closer together but the boys prefer this layout so we’re staying with what works best for us.
      
Calendar Area Wall

Here is how we have our calendar area set up next to our Monthly calendar and U.S. map. My youngest son adds a new date to the calendar each day.
  
Calendar Area wall left side1. Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow (days of the week) – This is wonderful printable from Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler that we use to teach the days of the week  

2. Days in School – Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations created this great printable for children to fill in how many days they have been in school.  The boys will enjoy counting the days during our school year!  

3. How many days on School Countdown –  This is another printable by Carisa at 1+1+1=1 created. It is a great way for kids to count to 100 days in school. When we reach ours, we plan on having a party! 

4.  We have a small U.S. Flag card on our calendar chart. We use it to remind us to pray for our nation. We have a regular U.S. flag in a separate area above the calendar area that is not see in this picture.     

5. Color of the day – Carisa at 1+1+1=1 created this printable and many others that you can find on her Calendar page. We use ours to learn the spelling of the color words. I added a color card from paint chip cards that we previously used for another learning project.  

6. Godly Character Trait of the week from Sarah’s Sweeties.  These are great to use with our Bible Devotions and Bible Character Study. We were to print ours smaller thanks in part to a wonderful tutorial from Carisa at 1+1+1+=1  on How to scale down PDFs files for printing.  

Calendar right side weather7. our Jesse the Weather Bear (my printable)– Last year I made a bear and clothing to teach my preschooler about the clothing we wear during the seasons.  He loved it so much we added our bear to our Calendar Chart.  This cute bear will be used when we read the book “Jesse Bear, what will you wear?” as part of our Before Five in a Row curriculum. You can download the Jesse Bear and clothing by clicking HERE.


8. Telling Time -  This year my youngest is telling time by the whole hour and half hour. We got our clock in a package of four at the Dollar Tree.  The boys will each have their own at their table when we cover more on time during Math.  

9. What’s the Weather like Today – This is another printable from Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler.  My youngest son looks out the window and determines which card he should put on our chart.  

10. Today’s Clouds (my printable)– I did not want to leave my older son out during Calendar Time so he uses our Cloud cards to determine the type of cloud we see outside.Today’s clouds were Cumulus Clouds as you can see on our chart.  I created these cards last year as part of our Nature Study on clouds.  You can download our Cloud Cards HERE.

11. Today’s temperature  - We use Jolanthe’s printable to record the daily temperature outside and inside.      

12. Seasons  - I found this cute clipart and enlarged it and glue it to green cardstock. laminated it and placed the cards on a ring binder so that my youngest son can display the season we are currently in.        

The boys are excited about our new Calendar and Morning board, especially our weather section. I know it may seem  like a lot on our Calendar wall but I wanted to include my older son with it as well.  Overall, I think we did a good making ours. It was great using it on our first day of school and we look forward to using it each day thereafter.     

Have a great school week, so far we are enjoying ours!

 Sandra

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

This is great!! I tried to do one of these in French (our foreign language) one year, but I didn't keep it up for long. Shame really when Mummy is the unmotivated one...

Our Side of the Mountain said...

Looks awesome! I decided to take some of the same free printables and hole punch them, putting them in a 3 ring binder. We don't have space for large posters. Hopefully this'll work!

SANDRA said...

Thank you. We are going to try our best to continue using our Calendar area each day. I think the routine is good for the boys.

Giggly Girls said...

Looks great. Our morning board is on a tri-fold foam board so that we can tuck it behind a shelf when we're finished. No wall space for one yet.