Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our Weather Bear (and how you can make your own!)


My youngest is learning about the seasons and so far we have been using our Seasonal Tree that I made. I wanted to help my child learn about the weather too and in addition to making a weather chart, I made a weather bear.

I wanted the weather bear to teach my youngest son about the weather and what clothing we wear on certain weather days. Turtle calls his weather bear "Jesse bear" after one of his favorite books " Jesse Bear, Jesse Bear What will you wear? " by Nancy White Carlstrom.

This bear has been around for sometime, we first made him for our oldest son years ago, but I am sure that in re-making a new one for our youngest he will have lots of playtime and use with it. After printing, I cut them out and glued them to card stock (I use scrapbooking paper too at times). Then laminated them. I used peel and stick Velcro to the bear and clothing.

Yesterday it was sunny and hot so my son pick these clothes for Jesse Bear Weather Bear below:

Today it was raining all day so he picked out these clothes for Jesse Bear Weather Bear below.

Here is how we use our Weather Bear:

Ask child- “Let's see what the weather is like today!”
(Have your child look outside the window and tell you what the weather is like.)

Ask child – “Weather Bear is going out today. Can you help weather bear decide what to wear today? (Have your child go through Weather Bear's clothing. Pick and choose what he should wear).

Remind the child, “It's _______ today.” Should weather bear wear his ___________?”

This daily or weekly activity helps toddlers and preschoolers learn about what clothing we wear on certain weather days. A good book to accompany this activity is “Jesse Bear Jesse Bear, What will you wear” by Nancy White Carlstrom.

HOW YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN WEATHER BEAR!
Now just for my readers I have uploaded a three page file so that you can make your own weather bear for your child. As an added bonus there is a Christmas outfit for the weather bear (It was not pictured in my post). Click here to view the document and you can download it! Come back after you have made your weather bear and comment below to let me know if your child like the weather bear! Enjoy!


Blog Fall Siggy

9 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

This bear is so very neat and thank you so much for the download. My husband made something like this for Anna from felt for her felt baby, and she really enjoys dressing her felt doll into different clothes. It's a great way to learn more about the weather and seasons.

SANDRA said...

You are welcome. I hope she enjoys using her weather bear. My son likes using his. It reminds him of his Max and Ruby paper dolls we made earlier this year.

Momma C said...

Thank you so much for this great idea. I am going to pass this link along to the ABC Jesus Loves Me users!

MaryAnne said...

These are cute! We made something similar out of felt here:

http://thriftycraftmama.blogspot.com/2008/11/felt-board-dress-up-bears.html

and here:
http://thriftycraftmama.blogspot.com/2008/11/winter-clothes-for-felt-bears.html

Preschool Playbook said...

At our school we used to dress our weather bear and we called him Jesse Bear too. We know have Froggy--like Froggy Gets Dressed. The children just can't wait to dress him each day!

creeksidelearning.com said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing! Just bringing my preschool-aged daughter into our homeschooling adventure and this will be a perfect addition to her day. :-) Julie

SANDRA said...

You are welcome. I hope she has fun with her weather bear.

Trudie said...

Thank you so much for this awesome little weather bear! I don't have a colour printer, so I made my own from vinyl stickers, I did link back to you for the original idea and for those who would love to print yours. Thank you for all your inspiration!
http://trudie-jollymommy.blogspot.com/2011/08/calender-circle-time.html

PDX pride said...

Thank you! I'm a Norwegian language teacher for children and adults, so I'm going to use this with the kids and add the Norwegian names for the clothing on a second sheet as a reference.