Monday, June 8, 2009

My Felt Clown Fish

I made felt Clown Fish bean bags to my sons to play a Clown Fish Toss game for our F is for Fish week. I am showing you how I made these cute Felt Clown fish bean bags for my sons.


I wanted to share my crafty idea for making a bean bag for the boys to play a Clown fish toss game. I like making felt crafts for the holidays and I wanted to use my skills in making felt crafts with our homeschooling. When it came time to start our F is for Fish week, I thought about what I could make as a game. I considered making a Clown fish and using a small blue basket with light blue foam sheets as his home (the sea anemone). I'll be posting pictures this weekend of our completed game. I am having extended family over this week and have not had time to post.

Here's the materials I used to make these cute Clown Fish.
three 9" x 12" felt sheets of orange
one 9" x 12" felt sheet of black
two 9" x 12" sheets of white
Aleene's tacky glue
Scissors
Orange thread
sewing needle
white rice or Lima beans ( I used rice)
Print out of a clown fish (for outline pattern)


Step 1

Print out two prints of a picture of a clown fish, Cut it out. Cut the 9" x 12" felt sheet of orange in half (one sheet makes two fish). Lay the pattern over your felt and (pin it if you choose) and cut out your fish pattern. You will have two pieces for each half of felt.

Step 2
Cut out the white section of your fish from the other printed pattern you have. You will use it as a guide for your fish stripes. Lay the sections on your white felt and cut out.

Step 3
Use the tacky glue to adhere the white stripes to the orange body of the Fish. (make sure to lay your pieces out first to see if they fit). Let dry.

Step 4
Cut thin strips of black felt to use as the black stripes. Use the tacky glue to glue the black strips to the sides of the white stripes. (as seen below) Let dry. Cut two small circles of black and orange for the eyes and glue sew onto fish. Cut a small piece of orange felt to use as a fin for each side of the fish. Sew to the body of the fish.

Step 5
Cut a baby sock or small tube sock. (see photo below) I used the neck of the sock because it is narrow enough to fit in the body of the fish.


Step 6
Sew one end the sock and then fill a little less than halfway with the rice or Lima beans. Then sew other end. Lay on the inside of the fish as shown in the photo below. I placed my filled sock in the middle of the fish and used left over pieces of felt as filling for the head and tail.


Step 7
Place other side of the Clown fish over the other and sew the fish around the edges (make sure not to sew around the top and bottom fins. (as you can see from the hand stitching in mine). Just sew the main body of the fish. And you're done!

What do you think of my clowfish? I hope you enjoyed my tutorial.




15 comments:

SkylarKD said...

Wow, these are AMAZING! Great job!!

Preschool Playbook said...

These are SO cute!

SANDRA said...

Thanks, I was surprised myself at how well they turned out after I made them. The boys want me to make them a large stuffed one to sleep with.

The Harris Family said...

How cute! Thanks for sharing how you made them.

MaryAnne said...

These are adorable, thanks for the tutorial!

Laughing Stars said...

Those are ADORABLE!

ABC and 123: A Learning Cooperative said...

Wow! Those turned out so cute. How fun. Thanks for sharing the step by steps of putting them together.

SANDRA said...

Thank you! You are welcome. I really enjoy participating in the ABC and 123 Picnic Table Talk and it was a wonderful topic this week. It just happened to be during a time I had recently completed this craft and I could not think of anything better to share (besides our Rainbow Fish craft)

BranFlakes said...

My kids would love that!

Diana said...

These are so fun, thank you for the tutorial! I also LOVE your Rainbow Fish craft. I bookmarked that one for my kiddos to try.

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

Just like Nemo. These are so fun!

Katie said...

Great idea to use the socks! Have never seen that innovation for bean bags. Love the fish shape, too cute. My daughter would love Nemo bean bags to play with.

laterg8r said...

this idea rocks, i am sooo gonna do it :D

thanks for the fish outline link :D

SANDRA said...

Your welcome.

NewbieCrafter said...

wow.its anice clown fish, thanks for sharing.